The 650cc+ Endorsement
At Utah Rider Ed we have convenient options for the 650+ endorsement, allowing you to ride any size motorcycle after licensing. Wondering what the 650cc thing is all about? Asking yourself if you NEED the 650+ motorcycle endorsement? We are here to help!
What is tiered licensing? In 2008 Utah adopted a tiered motorcycle license system. The tiers are as follows:
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 90 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 249 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
- If you test on a motorcycle/scooter 649 cc or less, you will be restricted to riding motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less.
Testing on a 650cc motorcycle at your Basic Rider Course: During your Basic Rider Course you will ride our provided 250cc motorcycles, which will cover you for the “649cc or less” endorsement. To get an endorsement for motorcycles above 649cc you have a couple options:
- Test at the end of class on your personal motorcycle or rent our 650cc motorcycle for $40.
- Schedule for a Retest time within 30 days of completing your Basic Rider Course. This can give you time to practice on your own motorcycle!
What kind of 650cc motorcycles do we have to rent? We offer the 650cc retesting at the following locations: West Jordan, South Jordan, Lehi, Ogden, Park City, St. George. At most of our locations we have Boulevard S 650 and DR650. They are light, nimble, and work well for short or tall people.
Do I really need a motorcycle license for over 650cc? If you are not sure what size bike you will eventually end up on, NO WORRIES! You do not have to make that decision right away! You can always upgrade your motorcycle endorsement later with us or the Driver License Division. If you get to the end of your Basic Rider Course and decide you feel confident on the 250cc you can opt in to test that same day on our 650cc.
We hope this information will help with your decision! If you still have questions or would like to know more please contact us or check out our Licensing page